[R] Linux on PowerPC 970 (IBM BladeCenter JS20)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 12 19:35:14 CET 2004

Teruhito Hosono <TERUHITO at jp.ibm.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering if I can run "R" software on IBM BladeCenter JS20
> PowerPC 970 based now.
> If it's not available, do you have any plan to port it for JS20?
> Both Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS3 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8/9 are
> available on JS20.

Shouldn't be a problem, but you'll most likely need to compile from
sources. You could do us and yourself a favour and try to build the
current beta version of 2.0.1 (release Monday) and report back so that
we can try to fix problems before release (no promises though).

The build process is very simple:

./configure ; make ; make check ; make install

but you may find that you need to install a bunch of development
libraries and such.