[R] R on 64-bit Linux machine

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Fri Nov 12 22:24:49 CET 2004

I've built (and routinely use) 64 bit R on the following platforms:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (AMD Opteron 848)
Fedora Core 2 x86_64 (AMD Athlon 64 3800+)
SuSE SLES 8 (AMD Opteron 248)

One problem that has come up is that if you want to link R with ATLAS,
you need to build shared ATLAS libraries (rather than static).  This
requires some modifications to the configuation files for ATLAS.  But
my experience shows that R itself builds out of the box on these systems.

-roger

Vadim Ogranovich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are planning to buy a 64-bit Linux machine which will mainly run R.
> There was an interesting thread on 64-bits on r-help back in April that
> basically confirmed that the 64-bit R is fine as long as the length of
> an atomic object is less than 2^31 - 1.
>
> My specific question is on which 64-bit Linux distros (SUSE or RedHat)
> and processors R is *known* to build out-of-box and run well. Ease of
> maintenance is essential here. We have RedHat 7.3 on other (32-bit)
> machines and would try not to proliferate the OS-s.
>

> Your information will be highly appreciated,
>
> Thanks,
> Vadim
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Roger D. Peng