[R] R on 64-bit Linux machine

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 22:33:48 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Vadim Ogranovich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to buy a 64-bit Linux machine which will mainly run R.
> There was an interesting thread on 64-bits on r-help back in April that
> basically confirmed that the 64-bit R is fine as long as the length of
> an atomic object is less than 2^31 - 1.

That's an R limitation, not a 64-bit version one.

> My specific question is on which 64-bit Linux distros (SUSE or RedHat)
> and processors R is *known* to build out-of-box and run well. Ease of
> maintenance is essential here. We have RedHat 7.3 on other (32-bit)
> machines and would try not to proliferate the OS-s.

Not RHEL 3: we sent that back for a refund and its compilers are too old
to work well on AMD64. Fedora Core 3 is fine on AMD64, and is what I would
recommend.  We also run SuSe 9.1, but for people used to RH, Fedora is
more familiar.

CRAN will have 64-bit RPMs for x86_64 FC3 come R 2.0.1 (released on
Monday)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk