[R] Problems installing packages on MacOS with R 2.00

Marco Chiarandini machud at intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Nov 15 11:50:51 CET 2004

Dear Prof. Ripley,

> It is R 2.0.0!  Your problem is that you do not have g77 installed, or at
> least, not the same version as was used to compile your version of R.
> (Please do read the posting guide and tell us where you got R from -- I
> suspect you did not compile it yourself.)

I took R from http://cran.at.r-project.org/. True, I did not compiled
it: it was the R 2.0.0 (lastest version) bin package. However, I have
g77 version 3.4 (October 2003) installed on MacOS.

I deleted both -lfrtbegin and -lg2c from FLIBS in
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/Makeconf
and now Hmisc compiles fine.
I could not find a directory
/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/
in my installation.

> I think this should be in the MacOS X FAQ, but unfortunately the version
> on CRAN linked from the sidebar and the main FAQ at
>
>     http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html
>
> is for R 1.9.1, not 2.0.0.  Did your installation come with a current
> version?
>
> However, a further problem is that many packages which use Fortran code
> cannot be compiled for MacOS X as it does not have a shared Fortran
> run-time library.  So I suspect that if you do install g77-3.4.2 you will
> find that you cannot compile package acepack, and that is why no
> pre-compiled version of the package is available.

Marco Chiarandini, Fachgebiet Intellektik, Fachbereich Informatik,
Technische Universität Darmstadt, Hochschulstraße 10,
D-64289 Darmstadt - Germany, Office: S2/02 Raum E317
Tel: +49.(0)6151.166802 Fax: +49.(0)6151.165326
email: machud at intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
web page: http://www.intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~machud