[R] Difference between two correlation matrices

Stephane DRAY dray at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Tue Nov 16 16:57:36 CET 2004

One solution is to use procruste analysis.
Perform a principal coordinate analysis on your data (cmdscale) to obtain
two individuals by variables tables.
Then, you can perform procruste rotation and test to know if the two
matrice tell the same thing. It is more powerful than mantel test.
As you have correlations, I suppose than you can consider your original
variables rather than correlation and cmdscale

Functions are available in the ade4 package:

procuste(ade4)          Simple Procruste Rotation between two sets of
                         points
procuste.randtest(ade4)
                         Monte-Carlo Test on the sum of the singular
                         values of a procustean rotation (in C).
procuste.rtest(ade4)    Monte-Carlo Test on the sum of the singular
                         values of a procustean rotation (in R).

A reference on the analysis:

<http://www.steph280.freesurf.fr/files/articles/Ecosci2003.pdf>S. Dray, D.
Chessel, J. Thioulouse : Procrustean co-inertia analysis for the linking of
ecological tables.
Ecoscience<http://www.steph280.freesurf.fr/files/articles/Ecosci2003.pdf>,
2003, vol. 10, 110-119.

available at :

http://www.steph280.freesurf.fr/files/articles/Ecosci2003.pdf

Hope this helps !

At 10:31 16/11/2004, Marta Rufino wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I don't know if it is applicable in your case, but have you tried Mantel
>test?
>You can use it to determine significant correlation between two matrices,
>using Pearsion, Spearman or Kendal correlation indices.
>
>Hope it helps,
>All the best,
>Marta

Stéphane DRAY

Département des Sciences Biologiques
Université de Montréal, C.P. 6128, succursale centre-ville
Montréal, Québec H3C 3J7, Canada

Tel : (514) 343-6111 poste 1233         Fax : (514) 343-2293
E-mail : stephane.dray at umontreal.ca