[R] Re: R: log-normal distribution and shapiro test

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at stud.uni-graz.at
Wed Nov 17 15:01:37 CET 2004

Hi:

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know how to test whether the data would fit to a gamma-distribution?

How can I call fBasics?

Note: I installed R-language on my Macintosh today; I have used the
binary -- pre compiled -- package.

Some of the R-help facilties do not function on my Mac.

Again to my data: How can I compute the skew? I think I lack some basic
packages - right?

The curious things actually is that the median and the mean are quite
similar, e.g. 0.19 and 0.2 respectively; the skew is about 1.0 (I
calculated the skew by my own computer code in Bigloo).

The problem actually is: my boss expects from me that I make some tests;
personally I am a bit generous and everything is a Gaussian or
log-Gaussian distribution, because how can I be sure that the underlying
data to not have any serious flaws? Statistics is black art - right?

Regards,
S. Gonzi