[R] Power sampling

Thomas Schönhoff tom_woody at web.de
Wed Nov 17 22:05:18 CET 2004

Hello,

after a unsuccessful search in lists maliarchive I wonder how I could
estimate the power of a sample size related to an unknown population.

Given the following (fake))situation:

I do have a database containing about 5 millions observations over 70
variables.
I would like to compute (as epidemiologists are used to) the required
  size of a sample to do some test on a test sample (test data), later
doing some subsequent analysis of a new sample to build a prediction
model.

Help facilities of R show some entries regarding power, but none of
them seemed to be appropriate for my purpose (maybe I am wrong, but
sometimes I have some difficulties to decipher the message of those
tiny hints for available packages)

I would appreciate somebody effort to point me to the right
package/function to archieve this task!

regards

Thomas