[R] The hidden costs of GPL software?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 18 05:38:36 CET 2004

Background:  I'm a Computer Science lecturer, and I read the blue book cover
to cover before ever setting finger to keyboard with R.

Observation:  I really only use R for very simple things, but there's
practically *nothing* I've done with R since installing it could have
been done via menus.  I seem to need lots of little R functions, lots
of little try this transformation plot that, fiddle with the other...
I've had a student use it, I've introduced it to colleauges, and they
would not have benefited one iota from a GUI interface.

I'm glad that the effort put into R has gone into the things it has.