[R] Where has the Debian respository gone?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Nov 18 16:18:40 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 08:52:38AM +0000, stats wrote:
> Hello Dirk,
>
> Monday, November 15, 2004, 1:35:27 AM, you wrote:
>
> DE> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:53:42PM +0100, Christoph Bier wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> Did I miss something or is it just a temporary problem? Where has
> >> the Debian respository
> >>
> >> http://cran.r-project.org woody/main Packages
> >> resp.
> >> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/
> >>
> >> gone? I tried it for about the last 7 hours.
>
> DE> Current R and CRAN packages are on the Debian archives; you can install
> DE> these on testing too.  To the best of my knowledge, there are no backports
> DE> of current R and Debian CRAN packages to Debian stable.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled.  I had
>         deb http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian woody main
> in /etc/apt/sources.list and had hoped, perhaps rather unwisely, that
> this would look after the transition from 1.8.0 on my internet server (Debian
> stable) where it serves up some cgi-bin work.  (Most of my R work is
> on a Win2k machine, much though I'd like to go Debian all the way,
> that isn't possible for my main job in near future.)
>
> Is there an easy way of upgrading R on a Debian stable machine?  I
> don't want to move off stable as the security side of that server is
> too important.  I also don't really want to compile it myself if I can
> avoid that, the server is pretty old iron and that might back up all
> the Email stuff it does.
>
> Advice anyone?

More than advice, we need a volunteer to "backport" the current R package(s)
for Debian to the Debian stable distribution. As I said, testing and
unstable are taken care of (and yes, testing is still lagging because of the
now much more formal interdependence of packages; R 2.0.* will appears once
all dependent packages are available on all architectures)

Dirk

--
If your hair is standing up, then you are in extreme danger.
      -- http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfp/cockpit-phys/fp1ex3.htm