[R] hashing using named lists

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 18:50:40 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, ulas karaoz wrote:

> hi all,
> I am trying to use named list to hash a bunch of vector by name, for
> instance:
> test = list()
> test$name = c(1,2,3)
>
> the problem is that when i try to get the values back by using the name, the
> matching isn't done in an exact way, so
> test$na is not NULL.
>
> is there a way around this?

?match on the names

> Why by default all.equal.list doesnt require an exact match?

What do you mean by that?  It (by default or not) tests all the
attributes, including the names:

test <- list(name=1:3)
test2 <- list(na=1:3)
all.equal(test, test2)
[1] "Names: 1 string mismatches"

Now, all.equal does not require an exact match, deliberately: that is what
identical() is for:

identical(test, test2)
[1] FALSE

> How can I do hashing in R?