[R] Re: The hidden costs of R?

Michael A. Miller mmiller3 at iupui.edu
Thu Nov 18 19:39:05 CET 2004

    > To sum up, what I am in need to is an extensive example
    > based help-system, focused on how to do things in R. In
    > parts this is already there, i.e. SimpleR from Verzani
    > (contributed docs area) etc.

I have a nice set of extensive help with documentation sitting on
my shelf:

   - Peter Dalgaard. Introductory Statistics with R. Springer,
     2002. ISBN 0-387-9

   - William N. Venables and Brian D. Ripley. Modern Applied
     Statistics with S. Fourth Edition. Springer, 2002. ISBN
     0-387-95457-0.

   - Jose C. Pinheiro and Douglas M. Bates. Mixed-Effects Models
     in S and S-Plus. Springer, 2000. ISBN 0-387-98957-0.

I suspect that I would have spent the money on these books even
if I'd started by spending money for S-plus, instead of R.  But
I've never seen the S-plus help system, so I may be wrong.

See http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-publications.html and
http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R_bib.html for yet more.

Mike

Michael A. Miller                               mmiller3 at iupui.edu
  Imaging Sciences, Department of Radiology, IU School of Medicine