[R] Re: R package installation

Marco Chiarandini machud at intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Nov 18 22:00:39 CET 2004

Dear Prof. Johnson,

sorry for posting the reply so late.

I am already using FINK. But you were right, R was looking for g77 and
the gcc libraries under the MacOs distributions.

Rather than creating symbolic links I updated FLIBS in
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/Makeconf
so that it searches in the right path
/sw/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0/

For g77 I made instead the link you suggest under /usr/bin/.

I removed and reinstalled the package and everything run fine, in spite
of my versions of libraries and compilers (g77 was already up-date from
FINK).

Thank you all for the help,

Marco

> Dear Marco,
>
> I was given an excerpt with your problem about installing package on
> a MAC, such as Hmisc.
>
> I had the same problems and found a work around.
>
> I have not had any trouble loading in source packages since, include
> Hmisc and Design, acepack and vgam.
>
> First, I downloaded and installed the g77 compiler.
>
> I use a progam named FINK to find, download and intall g77 (so first I
> installed FINK
> then from within FINK I downloaded/installed the g77 compiler.) Do a
> "Google" search
> for FINK, it is easy to find and install.
>
> After g77 was installed I had to make a symbolic link so R could find
> it:
>
> ln -s \sw\bin\g77 \usr\bin\g77  (I think I had to make a link to my gcc
> compiler also)
> \n -s \sw\bin\gcc \usr\bin\g77
>
> It looks like you already have the g77 compiler from the message.  the
> next mesage you can also remedy by symbolic links.  Try
>
> ln -s /sw/lib/gcc   /usr/local/lib/gcc
> ln -s /sw/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.5.0
> \usr\local\lib\gcc\powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
> ln -s /sw/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.5.0/3.4.1
> \usr\local\lib\gcc\powerpc-apple-darwin6.8\3.4.2
>
> The first directory path in each of the above may be specific to your
> configuration for gcc.
>
> But this did work for me, and if you find the correct location for gcc/
> powerpc-apple-darwinX.Y.Z/U.V.W, you should have no trouble either.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Tim Johnson
> Adjunct Asst. Professor
> University of Michigan

Marco Chiarandini, Fachgebiet Intellektik, Fachbereich Informatik,
Technische Universität Darmstadt, Hochschulstraße 10,
D-64289 Darmstadt - Germany, Office: S2/02 Raum E317
Tel: +49.(0)6151.166802 Fax: +49.(0)6151.165326
email: machud at intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
web page: http://www.intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~machud