[R] The hidden costs of GPL software?

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 18 22:48:31 CET 2004

The author of the article says nothing about the large
number of hours and weeks that he surely spent learning
S-plus!

There should be attention to the costs that arise from a wrong
or inappropriate analysis, perhaps because the software that
is in use makes it difficult to do anything better, perhaps
because of statistical skill limitations, often with these two
factors working together.  Analyses that misrepresent the
science, or designs and analyses that conspire together to
this end, have serious and costly implications for research.

I've refereed several papers recently, in broadly ecological
fields of endeavour, with seemingly quite reasonable data,
where the mix of author skill and abilities of the package was
clearly not up to the task in hand.  Relative to getting on top
of the statistical issues (for which they will probably end up
getting, as they need to, statistical help), the GUI/noGUI issue
will be a minor consideration, and hours or weeks spent
learning R will be at most a modest consideration.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.