[R] SAS or R software

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Nov 20 14:42:34 CET 2004

neela v wrote:
> Hi all there
>
> Can some one clarify me on this issue, features wise which is better R or SAS, leaving the commerical aspect associated with it. I suppose there are few people who have worked on both R and SAS and wish they would be able to help me in deciding on this.
>
> THank you for the help

I estimate that SAS is about 11 years behind R in statistical analysis
and graphics capabilities, and that gap is growing.  Also, code in SAS
is not peer-reviewed as is code in R.  SAS has advantages in two areas:
dealing with massive datasets (generally speaking, > 1GB) and getting
more accurate P-values in mixed effect models.

See http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/RS/sintro.pdf for
one comparison of SAS and S on technical features.

There are companies whose yearly license fees to SAS total millions of
dollars.  Then those companies hire armies of SAS programmers to program
an archaic macro language using old statistical methods to produce ugly
tables and the worst graphics in the statistical software world.

Frank Harrell
SAS User, 1969-1991