[R] How to change the significant codes default?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Nov 20 18:55:51 CET 2004

Shigeru Mase wrote:
> Dear R experts,
>
> I am posting this question on behalf of a Japanese R user
> who wants to know how to change the siginificant codes default.
> As you know, R's default significant codes are:
>
>  Signif. codes:  0 `***' 0.001 `**' 0.01 `*' 0.05 `.' 0.1 ` ' 1
>
> But he says that it is usual in economics to give codes such as
>
>  `***' for 0.01, `**' for 0.05 and `*' for 0.10
>
> I don't know if this is true (common) or not, but what I as well
> as he are puzzled is that, apparently, there is no part in the code,
> say that of summary.lm, which produces these significant codes
> as well as the annotation above. A quick search of "rking" using
> keywords "significant codes star" gave me no information.
>
> Thanks in advance.

For example, calling summary(lmObject) dispatches on method summary.lm()
hwich creates an object of class "summary.lm".
The latter is printed by method print.summary.lm() which calls
printCoefmat().

The stars are hard-coded there, and I don't think anybody is going to
change that. I suggest to turn of the printing of siginificant codes by
specifying
   print(summary(.....), signif.stars = FALSE)
or by setting the corresponding option().

Uwe Ligges