[R] SAS or R software

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Nov 21 18:04:01 CET 2004

Michael Friendly wrote:
> I can't resist dipping my oar in here:
>
> For me, some significant advantages of SAS are
>
> - Ability to input data in almost *any* conceivable form using the
> combination of features available through
> input/infile statements, SAS informats and formats, data step
> programming, etc.  Dataset manipulation
> (merge, join, stack, subset, summarize, etc.) also favors SAS in more
> complex cases, IMHO.

I respectfully disagree Michael, in cases where the file sizes are not
enormous.  And in many cases repetitive SAS data manipulation can be
done much easier using vectors (e.g., vectors of recodes) and matrices
in R, as shown in the examples in Alzola & Harrell
(http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/RS/sintro.pdf).

We are working on a project in which a client sends us 50 SAS datasets.
  Not only can we do all the complex data manipulations needed in R, but
we can treat the 50 datasets as a array (actually a list( )) to handle
repetitive operations over many datasets.

> - Output delivery system (ODS):  *Every* piece of SAS output is an
> output object that can be captured as
> a dataset, rendered in RTF, LaTeX, HTML, PDF, etc. with a relatively
> simple mechanism (including graphs)
>    ods pdf file='mystuff.pdf'';
>      << any sas stuff>>
>    ods pdf close;
> - If you think the output tables are ugly, it is not difficult to define
> a template for *any* output to display
> it the way you like.

I would like to see SAS ODS duplicate Table 10 in
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/StatReport/summary.pdf

Cheers,

Frank