[R] Installing rgl in R2.0.1

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Nov 22 01:10:59 CET 2004

I'm running R2.0.1 under Solaris 2.9 on a SunBlade 100.
When I installed it, I set things up to use the Sun compilers
cc, CC, f95 with the options recommended in the installation and
administration guide.

Until today, no worries.

With all this discussion about R GUIs I thought I'd give R Commander a go.
The web page said to install a bunch of packages first, so I did
> install.packages(c("abind", "car", "effects", "lmtest", "multcomp",
+ "mvtnorm", "relimp", "rgl", "sandwich", "strucchange", "zoo"),
+ dependencies = TRUE)

Again, all went well up to a certain point.  That point was rgl.

* Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/openwin/lib, headers /usr/openwin/include

checking for libpng-config... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
CC -I/users/local/lib/R/include -I/usr/openwin/include -DHAVE_PNG_H -I/usr/local/include  -Wall -pedantic -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -KPIC  -xO4 -xlibmil -dalign -c x11lib.cpp -o x11lib.o
CC: Warning: Option -Wall passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
CC: Warning: Option -pedantic passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
CC: Warning: Option -fno-exceptions passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
erwise
CC: Warning: Option -fno-rtti passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
CC -G -L/usr/local/lib -o rgl.so x11lib.o x11gui.o types.o math.o fps.o pixmap.o gui.o api.o device.o devicemanager.o rglview.o scene.o glgui.o -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/users/local/lib -R/users/local/lib -lpng12 -lz -lm -lstdc++ -lX11 -lXext -lGL -lGLU -lpng12 -lz -lm
ld: fatal: library -lstdc++: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to rgl.so
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `rgl.so'
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rgl'

Previous packages figured out from whatever information the R installation
squirrelled away that they should use f95 (not g77) and cc (not gcc) and
provided sensible options.  However, the rgl installation has decided to
do its own configuration, and has decided to use gcc.  That would probably
work, except that it is mixing up the Sun C++ compiler (CC) with the Gnu
command line options (-Wall -pedantic -fno-exceptions .....) AND the Sun
command line options (-xO4 -xlibmil -dalign).

All my attempts to follow the
http://wsopuppenkiste.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/~dadler/rgl
link on the rgl catalogue card at CRAN have failed.

- Did I do something wrong?
- What if anything can I do about it?