[R] Running R from CD?

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 22 09:42:27 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 02:41, bogdan romocea wrote:
> Better install and run R from a USB flash drive. This will save you
> the trouble of re-writing the CD as you upgrade and install new
> packages. Also, you can simply copy the R installation on your work
> computer (no install rights needed); R will run.

I think there is a niche (= a hole in the wall) for a live CD: it is
cheaper to distribute 20 copies of CD's to your audience than 20 USB
memory sticks. Instructions would be welcome.

> From: Hans van Walen <hans_at_vanwalen.com>

> At work I have no permission to install R. So, would anyone know
> whether it is possible to create a CD with a running R-installation
> for a windows(XP) pc? And of course, how to?

Check the file Getting-Started-with-the-Rcmdr.pdf in John Fox's Rcmdr
package. You should be able to reach this package by launching
help.start(), and then browsing its directory in the help browser
window. Go to chapter "7. Some Suggestions for Instructors" which tells
you how to make a live CD of R in Windows. I haven't tried this, since I
don't have Windows, but I sure will when I got to be an "instructor" in
a Windows class.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>