[R] Running R from CD?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 14:36:08 CET 2004

Let's be a little careful here.  An R for Windows installation is
relocatable, so you can just install it into a temporary directory and
burn a copy of that onto CD.  (That may not be true after installing
packages into a non-default library.)  It is not true of a Unix or MacOS X
installation, as far as I am aware, for they have absolute paths coded
into the files.

However, an R session does need to be able to write to a temporary
directory, and also needs a `home' directory and at a last resort the
latter defaults to the current directory.  So you do need to be running on
a machine on which you have a writable area.

A policy that says you cannot install a program, but you can run from a CD
and you can let such a program write to your area seems full of holes to
me.  (Ours does not allow low-privilege users to run programs from a CD.)
Also, many organizations ban the use of USB drives for security reasons.

BTW, I believe running R 2.0.x from a CD will be a lot slower than 1.9.1
because of lazy loading and frequent file accesses: that's a theoretical
issue we intend to address for 2.1.0, but not one anyone has yet commented
that it is a problem.