[R] Left justification af dimnames in tables.

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Nov 22 14:38:59 CET 2004

"Ladelund, Steen" <STELAD01 at glostruphosp.kbhamt.dk> writes:

> Hi helpeRs.
>
> When I do two-ways tables dimnames in columns are almost left-adjusted:
>   <- factor(rbinom(30,1,.3),labels=c("first","second"))
> >  b <- a
> >  table(a,b)
> a        first second
>   first  21     0
>   second  0     9
>
> If I do a oneway table however, dimnames are right-adjusted:
>
> table(a)
>  first second
>     21      9
>
> Actually I must admit I dont know if its the dimnames or/and the cell counts
> that are adjusted ;-)
>
> Is there a way that I can get left-adjusted dimnames i oneway tables.
>
> Thans in advance

This was actually an inadvertent change in R 1.7.0. It is fixed in the
development version of R but it was decided to keep the fix out of the
patch versions because it would change a lot of printed output (and
some people run automatic checks for that). For a twoway table,
there's a simple workaround:

> print(table(a,b),right=T)
a        first second
  first     21      0
  second     0      9

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for multiway tables....