[R] timeDate

james.holtman@convergys.com james.holtman at convergys.com
Tue Nov 23 16:39:04 CET 2004

You might want to check out 'chron'.  This stores the time as days and
fractions of a day.

If you take the current date,

> as.numeric(chron(dates.="11/23/2004"))
[1] 12745

you get the value above.  If you change this to millisecond, you get

> as.numeric(chron(dates.="11/23/2004")) * 86400 * 1000
[1] 1.101168e+12

this value requires 46 bits and since a floating point number has 54 bits
of value, it should be enough to give you millisecond resolution and still
maintain the 'date'
James Holtman        "What is the problem you are trying to solve?"
Executive Technical Consultant  --  Office of Technology, Convergys
james.holtman at convergys.com
+1 (513) 723-2929

                      Yasser El-Zein
                      <abu3ammar at gmail.com>        To:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                      Sent by:                     cc:
                      r-help-bounces at stat.m        Subject:  Re: [R] timeDate
                      ath.ethz.ch

                      11/23/2004 09:55
                      Please respond to
                      Yasser El-Zein

I am looking for up to the millisecond resolution. Is there a package
that has that?