[R] SAS or R software

Jose A. Hernandez jahernan at umn.edu
Tue Nov 23 18:33:26 CET 2004

Hi Neela,

Just my ¢2 regarding the R vs. SAS issue. I started to use SAS since my
undergraduate studies in 1993, and I am now a migrating to R user, and I
hope not to ever go back to SAS.

My comments are:

- SAS is huge it takes over 1GB of space of my PC while R takes just
over 100 MB, this days that may not be an important issue, but I'd
consider this in your analysis.

- One of the things that bother me the most about SAS was their "system
update" protocol, it was a mess (at least last time I tried downloading
the updates, like 2 years ago). R has a great community and I love the
update.packages() function.

- Regarding the large datasets discussion, I've had some experience
working with mixed models on large dataset, and both programs end up
taking a lot of time or crashing.

- The learning curve for a non-stats non-programmer guy was steeper for
SAS, but again SAS was my first. However, R still does not come so
naturally to me when I am coding, I have to look at my old codes,
manuals and google. If I ever end up teaching applied stats I'll teach
using R.

Sincerely,

Jose
... migrating to R ... and one of this days to linux

--
Jose A. Hernandez
Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Soil, Water, and Climate