[R] The hidden costs of GPL software?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Nov 23 22:36:12 CET 2004

Patrick Burns wrote:
> [....]
> No, I'm not volunteering to build the system.

Too bad! ;-)

Indeed, the idea to index tens of thousands of functions could not be
appealing to many of us! Why not to consider to test such ideas at the
package level? I mean, building a system that points out the packages of
interest (those in CRAN, of course), given a search phrase would be a more
resonable work. Then, looking at online help of that particular package
would be the small additional effort required by the user. The problem here
is with heterogeneous packages (the XXXXmisc, and the like)...

And... No I'm not volunteering to build the system either.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean