[R] Grumble ...

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Nov 24 13:59:41 CET 2004

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:36:35 -0000 (GMT), (Ted Harding)
> <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi Folks,
> >
> >A Grumble ...
> >
> >The message I just sent to R-help about "The hidden costs of GPL ..."
> >has evoked a "Challenge" response:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >  You´ve just sent a message to diagnosticando at uol.com.br
> >  In order to confirm the sent message, please click here
>
> Here's a strategy that I hope subverts this irritating mechanism:
> Every now and then I get a challenge about a message that I didn't
> send, because someone (or some virus) forged me into the "From:"
> address.  Those are the only ones I confirm.

Hehe... But don't you risk getting listed as an "active spammer" or
something that way? Personally I just send them to the bogus folder
for later update to the spamfilter.

Imagine if everyone had this challenge stuff installed and we had to
confirm every message ~1e3 times (how many subscribers are we these
days). The vacation messages are annoying enough.

I wonder how this guy got on the list in the first place. I suspect
that he couldn't actually have completed the subscription process
unless the mechanism was installed after the subscription.