[R] Modeling censored binomial / Poisson data

Greg Tarpinian sasprog474 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 22:58:27 CET 2004

I have some count data (0 - 1 at each time point for
each test subject) that I would like to model.  Since
the 1's are rather sparse, the Poisson distribution
comes to mind but I would also consider the binomial.

The data are censored as the data come from a clinical
trial and subjects were able to leave the study and
some were therefore lost to follow-up.

I am aware of the capabilities of lme( ) and nlme( )
through the excellent book by Pinheiro and Bates, but
am at a loss as to what to do with these count data.
Ideally, I would like to compare the placebo and
treatment groups in a meaningful way.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

     Greg