[R] Error using glm with poisson family and identity link

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Nov 25 20:35:24 CET 2004

Hi, Peter:

      What do you do in such situations?

      Sundar Dorai-Raj and I have extended "glm" concepts to models
driven by a sum of k independent Poissons, with the a linear model for
log(defectRate[i]) for each source (i = 1:k).  To handle convergence
problems, etc., I think we need to use informative Bayes, but we're not
there yet.  In any context where things are done more than once [which
covers most human activities], informative Bayes seems sensible.

      A related question comes with data representing the differences
between Poisson counts, e.g., with d[i] = X[i]-X[i-1] = the number of
new defects added between steps i-1 and i in a manufacturing process.
Most of the time, d[i] is nonnegative.  However, in some cases, it can
be negative, either because of metrology errors in X[i] or because of
defect removal between steps i-1 and i.

      Comments?
      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567