[R] How to expand the size limit of a vector?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 08:50:09 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Guoqi Qian wrote:

> Hi everybody on this list,
>
> Could somebody please tell me how to expand the size limit of a vector
> in R?

You must be using Windows, without telling us. The rw-FAQ tells you the
answer, as well as the help page that message refers to.  It's better for
you that you learn to use these resources than ask 2000 people to read
them for you.

You may also need to get a bigger computer, since you are trying to create
a single object bigger than your computer's RAM memory and a high
proportion of the address space of a Windows machine.  It might be more
sensible to ask your more senior colleagues for advice on your statistical
computing and see if you can avoid this computation.