[R] Tetrachoric and polychoric ceofficients (for sem) - any tips?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Nov 28 19:07:30 CET 2004

Dear Michael,

I'm not aware of pre-existing R code for tetrachoric or polychoric
correlations. I may at some point incorporate such functions into the sem
package but I don't have concrete plans for doing so. On the other hand, I
don't think that it would be very hard to do so. (A discussion, references,
and an example are in Kotz and Johnson, eds., Encyclopedia of Statistics,
Vol 7.)

Tetrachoric and polychoric correlations are estimates, and in subsequently
estimating a SEM from these, one should take that into account.

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology