[R] use of file.show() under linux session....

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Nov 28 21:01:13 CET 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 13:42, BUHARD Olivier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is a stupid question, but I can't display a text file in
> a separate console window under a R session in X11 (gnome with MDK
> 9.2).
>
> I use R 2.0.0. When I enter :
> > file.show("/path/to/my/file/filename.txt" ,pager="gnome-terminal")
>
> the new window opens and then I just obtain the blinking cursor after
> the console prompt :-(
> I always obtain the same result, wathever the pager used (konsole,
> gnome-terminal...)

Why are you expecting it to do anything else? Does

$ gnome-terminal /path/to/my/file/filename.txt

display your file? gnome-terminal / konsole are not pagers.

> When I open the file in the current window, it is displayed as any
> normal text file, so I don't understand.

What do you mean by 'open'?

> Well, it's trivial, but it could help me if I could see the file
> while working in another window with the R session... of course, I
> could use another soft (Gedit, or open a new console manually...) :
> well, I find it more convinient without many different programs
> running in the session.

On my system at least, if there's an already running gedit,

> file.show("myfile", pager = "gedit")

opens the file in a new tab (note, not a new program or even a new
window) in gedit, and returns immediately to the R prompt, where you
can do other stuff while the file is being displayed.

Deepayan