Reasons not to answer very basic questions in a straightforward way; was: Re: [R] creating a sequence of object names

John cyracules at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:12:54 CET 2004

Dear Uwe,

I must say that I had thanked you for referring me to
the "specific and exact" FAQ 7.21 and I had solved my
simple problem from it. I alreadly had looked at some
of basic materials like 'An Introduction to R', 'R for
Beginners', 'R Data Import/Export as well as the
FAQ(that is, I know how to use ?assign and ?get). But,
because I am not going to be an expert in R I assume
that I have missed something (even very trivial) in
those documents. Of course, I can read them again and
again until I know everything in them. That is for
more interested enthusiasts, however.

I know very well that it is basic manners to read
those materials before asking questions here, but you
should also understand that people sometimes get stuck
with very simple problems if they are driven by stress
or run down. They can save a lot of time and
concentrate on and develop their primary jobs instead.
And I don't think you should be worried about 900
silly questions out of 1000 messages posted because
they are at least well-educated people who know what
reading basic materials before posting questions
means.

People can learn diverse solutions about their simple
questions, from advanced experienced users, that
sometimes contain much more informations and tips.
It is up to users(not necessarily advanced users)
whether or not they are willing to answer questions
and share their precious (even little) findings in
programming. Volunteers can simply ignore silly
questions if they are not appropriate for answering.
Or I would let them know what to do with their
improper questions in a personal email.

Finally, I do appreciate your answer again and other
people's active replies too. It was really useful to
point me to the specific FAQ rather than to just say
'look at the FAQ'. It simply occurred to my mind that
"kindness" is the best policy for good education.

I beg your pardon if this message is not relevant to
this help list.

With kind regards,

John

 --- Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de>