[R] core dump during make check when building 64-bit R on Solaris 8/9

CHAN Chee Seng chancs at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Mon Nov 29 11:12:57 CET 2004

Hi,

I am building a 64-bit R 2.0.1 on Solaris 9.  The compiler is Sun Studio
8.  Make was successful but I have a core dump during a make check.  By
the way, this problem also happens on my Solaris 8 machine though I did
not get a core dump.  I do not have 64-bit versions of the readline,
tcl/tk, libncurses, etc libraries so these caused configure not to use
them with ELFCLASS32 errors.

I use the following flags in config.site:
CC="cc -xarch=v9"
CFLAGS="-xO5 -xlibmil -dalign"
F77="f95 -xarch=v9"
FFLAGS="-xO5 -xlibmil -dalign"
CXX="CC -xarch=v9"

I pasted the make check error messages below:
$ make check
collecting examples for package 'base' ...
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'base'
     Formats: text html latex example
running code in 'base-Ex.R' ...*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `base-Ex.Rout'
Current working directory /export/home/cheeseng/R-2.0.1/tests/Examples
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test-Examples-Base'
Current working directory /export/home/cheeseng/R-2.0.1/tests/Examples
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test-Examples'
Current working directory /export/home/cheeseng/R-2.0.1/tests
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test-all-basics'
Current working directory /export/home/cheeseng/R-2.0.1/tests
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `check'

The last few lines in base-Ex.Rout.fail is:
> ### * kappa
>
> flush(stderr()); flush(stdout())
>
> ### Name: kappa
> ### Title: Estimate the Condition Number
> ### Aliases: kappa kappa.default kappa.lm kappa.qr kappa.tri
>
> ### ** Examples
>
> kappa(x1 <- cbind(1,1:10))# 15.71
[1] 15.70590

Doing a dbx on the core dump shows that the following:
program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address)
0xffffffff790fdf54: ___pl_dgesdd_64_+0x1654:    std      %f4, [%o1]

I hope some one have a more successful build and can show how you did
it.

Thanks,
Chee Seng
UNIX Administrator
Genome Institute of Singapore
60 Biopolis Street, Genome
#02-01 Singapore 138672
DID 64788065
This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately. Please
do not copy or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any
other person. Thank you.