Reasons not to answer very basic questions in a straightforward way; was: Re: [R] creating a sequence of object names

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Tue Nov 30 02:33:18 CET 2004

Your statement seems innocent enough on the face of it, but there are two facets that I think are worthy of note.

The first is that of time, and more specifically who's time. As a user of other lists I can say that this is the best list in terms of getting the answer to my problem, albeit sometime's obliquely. I intermittently respond to questions generally of the type you refer to. I say intermittently because I don't have the time to do more than that. Why do I respond to these questions? Well I made some of the same basic errors. As a much more knowledgeable user, I think twice (well more like six times) before I post because I understand the amount of time it takes to create a response that is worthwhile. I'll get to the reason for not creating simple answers in the next point. If I had to pay for the "quality" of support that I get on this list, there is no way that I could afford it. I take what I get and I am grateful for the time given by so many. To assume that my time is more important than those who will give me the answer is disrespectful.

Secondly is a process referred to as "crowding out." With reference to the list there is a danger that it would cease to be a source of wisdom and start being a repetitive FAQ. As the list stands now I learn much more from other people's questions than I do from my own. I read about different ways of approaching various tasks and while I barely comprehend some of the more difficult questions they provoke my curiosity. I can read an FAQ anytime, I can read all of the manuals, they won't go away. At the moment the list is full of variation with the odd thread like this, which sparks more of a philosophical content. If 90% of the list was full of questions that are "tiresome because of dullness" or more succinctly "tedious," why would I continue to either ask questions of it or respond to them. In essence what I find useful on the list would be crowded out by repetitive questions.

Experience has shown me that where you have a demand for quick solutions from people busy getting on with their lives, it can overwhelm your own life. One such experience happened  the last time I was in London, I happened to be standing next to one of those little currency exchange booths waiting for a friend. I heard some people having trouble working out where the British Museum was. I gave them some help. It was only after a while that I thought to start counting how many requests I received (well I was on Tottenham Court Rd) but eventually I counted 35. One can maintain that sort of help for a while, but I couldn't stand there all day. I was abused by a couple for eventually leaving and not answering their question. I know there are users of R who will not use the mailing list because they are intimidated by the manner of the list, but the users I have talked to acknowledge that they are looking for an easy solution and are not interested in contributing to the list. They have also pointed out that they can see why the list does what it does.

I get the feeling that a lot of subscribers to this list would understand where you are coming from, even though they may not look at the list the same way that you do. The bottom line is that I have had a reply to every question that I have put on the list and those replies have always helped me to solve my problem. Show that you've put some effort in and people will match that effort "and more*." Your note had effort and consequently was treated as meritorious, although the answers may not have been what you wished.

Tom Mulholland

* K9, Dr Who, BBC Television