[R] Re: Reasons not to answer very basic questions...

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Nov 30 09:14:55 CET 2004

Jim Lemon wrote:

> A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
>>and perhaps the most important reason for the particular socratic form
>>of teaching on this list...
>

> Golly, anyone who read Plato's Dialogues would realize that the Socratic
> method involves patiently leading the questioner stepwise through the
> solution, not simply writing RTFMeno.
>
> Jim

Jim, yes, that way works as long as the number of questioners does not
sum up to "a lot":
It is "easy" to teach courses for 20 people and answer individual
questions, even if these questions are very basic and have been
explained more than once during the course.
Courses for 700 people (e.g. basic statistics for economists) in the
biggest auditory aren't that funny and you have to say "read what
I/others have written!" - or next month almost each student will be in
your office asking question he/she could not work out in half an hour
him/herself ...

So it is my very serious opinion that we need to point people to the
basic documentation and the FAQ, if they post their first very basic
question to the list. If the questioner asks the next basic questions as
well, and with him many others, we will have a flood of many hundreds of
messages a day!

Uwe