Re: Re: [R] systemfit - SUR

contact@thomasalmer.com contact at thomasalmer.com
Tue Nov 30 09:34:02 CET 2004

Arne Henningsen <ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de> schrieb am 29.11.2004,
17:02:12:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 16:42, contact at thomasalmer.com wrote:
> > Hello to everyone,
> >
> > I have 2 problems and would be very pleased if anyone can help me:
> >
> > 1) When I use the package "systemfit" for SUR regressions, I get two
> > different variance-covariance matrices when I firstly do the SUR
> > regression ("The covariance matrix of the residuals used for
> > estimation") and secondly do the OLS regressions. In the manual for
> > "systemfit" on page 14 I see however, that the variance-covariance
> > matrix for SUR is obtained from OLS. How can this be explained?
>
> Hi Thomas,
> I get identical residual covariance matrices:
>
> R> library(systemfit)
> R> data( kmenta )
> R> demand  supply  labels  system  fitols  fitols$rcov
>          [,1]     [,2]
> [1,] 3.725391 4.136963
> [2,] 4.136963 5.784441
> R> fitsur  fitsur$rcovest
>          [,1]     [,2]
> [1,] 3.725391 4.136963
> [2,] 4.136963 5.784441

It is a pity, but my matrices are not as nice :-(
An excerpt:
fitsur$rcovest
            [,1]         [,2]         [,3]       ...
 [1,] 0.015097517  0.018005050
 [2,] 0.018005050  0.276259834

fitols$rcov
               [,1]          [,2] 	[,3]	 ...
 [1,]  1.010326e-02  0.0096103837
 [2,]  9.610384e-03  0.2329884378

fitsur "The covariance matrix of the residuals used for estimation":
    eq1         eq2        eq3         ...
eq1 0.01317429  0.01504719 0.007981307
eq2 0.01504719  0.25233860

fitols "The covariance matrix of the residuals":
    eq1          eq2          eq3      ...
eq1 9.51154e-03  0.009137884  0.002648577
eq2 9.13788e-03  0.220435063

By the way: Why are the figures larger for SUR?
> Did you do _iterated_ SUR?

Yes:
"systemfit results
method: iterated SUR
convergence achieved after 30 iterations"

I do not know how to change that.

> Best wishes,
> Arne
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP!!!