[R] predict.gam problem

Jon Egil Strand jes at luretanker.no
Tue Nov 30 23:48:49 CET 2004

-----------------
Mac OS X 10.3
R 2.0.1
gam 0.9.2
-----------------

Greetings

I am facing difficulties in prediction on using Trevor Hasties GAM package.

How can one interpret the response from predict.gam?

Documentation on the type-parameter:
  The default (link) produces predictions on the scale of the additive
  predictors, ...

  If "response" is selected, the predictions are on the scale of the
  response, and are monotone trans-formations of the additive predictors,
  using the inverse link function.

Does "on the scale of the response" ammount to residals?

All I want to do is get the predicted response from running my GAM model
on new data. The results given are way off, but I am not able to dechipher
the documentation, nor use any scale information.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

All the best

Jon Egil Strand

--