[R] Lattice .ps graphic is rotated in LaTeX slides - PDF weirdness

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Oct 1 21:04:35 CEST 2004

On 01 Oct 2004 19:54:45 +0200 Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Barry Rowlingson <B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Marc Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > > The one advantage of the Beamer package, for those that require
> > > it, is that it supports pdflatex, which the others do not. Though,
> > > it can be used with dvips/latex + ps2pdf, where needed.
> > >

> >   Has anyone else hit the problem that sometimes occurs with
> >   embedded
> > PostScript graphics generated by R when viewed in full-screen mode
> > using Adobe Acrobat Reader in Linux? Yes, its _that_ specific.
>
> >   You get black areas all round your graphic. It looks a mess. Does
> >   it
> > in acroread4 and 5. But only Linux, and only full-screen mode.
>
> Doesn't seem to want to happen to me, with acrobat 5, in full-screen
> mode, on Linux, so it must be more specific than that...

We had that problem with severl pdf-documents at useR! 2004. My
suspicion was that it depends somehow on the way the eps-graphic takes
until it ends up in the pdf-document. I seem to recall that those slides
were usually generated via
  latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf
or maybe also via
  latex -> dvipdf
although this tends to produce nicer pdf. But I never digged deeper into
this and just forced the presenters to use xpdf ;-)

BTW: when producing pdf-slides, especially with graphics produced by R,
I usually don't generate any eps at all but go directly from my Rnw-file
  Sweave -> pdflatex
which produces very nice pdf output.