[R] subsetting

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Oct 4 16:53:35 CEST 2004

On 4 Oct 2004 at 10:06, Peter Hyde wrote:

> Hi!  I have never used this before, so please forgive my lack of
> proper protocol...
>
> Would someone please tell me how to subset a dataframe?
>
> I have a table of data with x & y (spatial) coordinates, 2 attributes
> (tree height and biomass) and a unique identification number for each
> record
>
> i have also created an array of random numbers equal to the number of
> records in my data frame
>
> i am trying to subset, in order to get the records that correspond to
> my unique id numbers

Hi

Chapter 2.7 of introduction manual says:

Subsets of the elements of a vector may be selected by
appending to the name of the vector
an index vector in square brackets. More generally any
expression that evaluates to a vector
may have subsets of its elements similarly selected by
appending an index vector in square
brackets immediately after the expression.

And it gives further examples

Maybe this is what you want?

your.df[your.id.vector==your.id.no,]

shall select rows which have identical id.no and id.vector.
I hope I understood your question as you actually did not
explained what you tried and how it failed.

Cheers
Petr