[R] R 2.0.0 is released

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 5 12:43:53 CEST 2004

Barry Rowlingson <B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> >
> > Congratulations to the R team and all involved for reaching the 2.0.0
> > milestone.  The progress of R is truly astounding.
> >

>   A milestone is something that tells you how far it is to where you
> are going. With R-2.0.0, have we arrived?

Depending on direction, milestones might only be telling you how far
you've gone. And you may even be walking in circles around the
target/origin...

No, I don't think we have arrived (would we want to?). We still have
unresolved issues in byte compiling and event loops, and the formal
methods techniques are only just there now. There's the whole Bayesian
front, too - important even for us hardcore frequentists.

Besides, how do you arrive at a moving target?