[R] R 2.0.0 (Windows): slow startup over the network

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Oct 6 15:50:34 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
>

>>I installed R 2.0.0/Windows on our network server (Win NT 4.0) with all
>>CRAN packages and observed a quick startup on this machine (3s).
>

> That's actually very slow: decent machine are well under 1s.
>

>>However, when startet from different client machines (e.g. Win NT 4.0 or
>>Win XP Pro SP2, Athlon XP 1700, 100 Mbit Network) the R Gui Window
>>appears immediately but then it takes 90 seconds to get the startup
>>message and the command prompt.
>>
>>The R base configuration (without additional packages) takes only 4
>>seconds on both, the server and the client.

Just for those who are interested:

R-2.0.0 with the complete CRAN collection, Bioconductor and some other
stuff installed on a capable Windows 2003 Server using a client with
WinNT4.0:
The RGui window appears at once, the prompt within 5 seconds.

As Brian Ripley already pointed out, there must be a bottleneck at your
side, either the server performance or network traffic.
I know from own experiences that WinNT 4.0 Server were not as good as
the 2003 Server in file delivery, but I don't think it can be that dramatic.

Uwe Ligges