[R] Mac: importing saved PDF figures into Illustrator CS

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 02:09:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

This is a usage question for others with experience of R under the Aqua Mac OS X interface.

Basically, I don't succeed in importing PDF files (created with the 'Save As' menu to Quartz device windows) into Illustrator. Versions up to (and including?) 10 loose paths (lines/polygons) and or fill them in black. Version CS (11) on the Mac imports almost correctly, but, "to preserve appearance, some text has been outlined". In other words: *all* text in the figure is converted to polygons. Somewhat annoying if one plans to edit the text, and in general change the appearance. I've asked on both the Apple and Adobe Illustrator forums (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@114.dQNuchE8byf.1@.3bb6383d/0), but have not yet received any reply. Maybe someone here has found a way to tell Illustrator not to outline ('preserve editability', in their jargon), or some other workaround?

Thanks in advance,
René Bertin