[R] Read.Table Reading a Text file

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri Oct 8 10:23:56 CEST 2004

On 7 Oct 2004 at 20:18, Kunal Shetty wrote:

> Dear R users and Helpers
>
> I am beginner with using R and interested in carrying out certain task
> for my statistical research. I am reading data for a text file, which
> could contain data in following pattern
>
> x	y
> 8	10
> 11	14
> 16	16
> 18	15
> 6	20
> 4	4
> 20	18
>
> As per the example I have two columns and 7 rows of data in each.
> However is real life data situation I may not know how many columns
> are present and how rows are present  and also with the certain data
> is missing. Yes I am assuming the data is delimited my Tab.
>

> My question or rather problem is I want read data from each colum say
> col x (8,11,16,18.....20) and store it into a variable so that I could
> perform some operations on them.

Hi

Better to read by appropriate read.whatever() function to data
frame, see eg. ?read.table

I hope you have already read some intro documents in which there
is stated how you could read your data and organize them. I also
recommend to go through Paul Johnsons Rtips. You can find it by
e.g. Google.

Cheers
Petr