[R] polr and optim question

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 8 18:11:50 CEST 2004

Dear Peter,

It's hard to know from your message what the source of the problem might be,
but a good guess is that data are ill-conditioned in some way. Some things
to check: What's the distribution of the response variable? (Are there many
categories, some with very few observations?) How ill-conditioned is the
model matrix?

I hope this helps,
 John