[R] problem Installing R 2.0.0 on SuSe 9.1

Richards, Thomas RichardsTJ2 at UPMC.EDU
Fri Oct 8 18:15:42 CEST 2004

Hello:

	I first tried it by using ./configure with the source files, but found that there is a huge problem with the gcc-g77 package, then I tried using the RPM obtained from CRAN, getting the following, the first of which appears to be another manifestation of the g77 problem:

linux:/tmp # rpm -i R-base-2.0.0-1.i586.rpm
warning: R-base-2.0.0-1.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID a3278da3
error: Failed dependencies:
        libg2c.so.0 is needed by R-base-2.0.0-1
        libglade-gnome.so.0 is needed by R-base-2.0.0-1
        libglade.so.0 is needed by R-base-2.0.0-1

Do you have a suggestion about what I (a suse beginner) should do in order to get R up and running under suse 9.1?  I have done some looking around and I do not see any package on suse for version 3.3.3 of the gcc-g77 package that corresponds to the gcc-g++ version 3.3.3, and I don't know if I am up to changing the versions of everything, so I hope I don't have to do that.  Thanks in advance.