[R] nlme vs gls

Raubertas, Richard richard_raubertas at merck.com
Fri Oct 8 22:02:34 CEST 2004

One thing to be aware of (as Pinheiro and Bates point out on
the same page) is that the general random effects and gls
models are not nested.  This means that the general covariance
matrix you estimate with gls may not correspond to *any*
random effects model.  In that case there are no subject-
specific coefficients (e.g. slopes), in the random effects sense.

Rich Raubertas