[R] Diagnosing trouble with R-2.0, Fedora Core 2, and Rcmdf

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 12 15:20:58 CEST 2004

Dear Paul,

I'm currently out of town, limiting a bit my ability to answer these
questions definitively, but I'll give it a shot (hoping that my memory
isn't faulty):

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:08:39 -0500
 Paul Johnson <pauljohn at ku.edu> wrote:
> Greetings, R-help!
>
> On 2 Fedora Core 2 Linux systems, i've completely erased the previous
> R and all packages and then installed R-2.0 and installed fresh
> packages.
>
> In using Rcmdr, I see some trouble and I wonder if other people see
> this and if it is due to the tcl/tk, or R, or Rcmdr.  (If readers
> have not yet tried Rcmdr, I recommend it not just because of the GUI
> it provides, but also because Prof. Fox has created several very
> handy commands, like scatter3d, which make it possible to use
> advanced packages like rgl. Rcmdr provides several very handy wrapper
> commands that "just work" and users don't have to fuss over so many
> details! And, if you are new at R, you can use pull down menus and
> then Rcmdr displays the commands that correspond with those menu
> options. Very educational!)
>
> In no particular order, here are the issues I see with R-2.0 and
> Rcmdr
>
> 1. In the panel to select a dataset from a package (nenu: Data/Data
> in packages), I can type in the name of a dataset, but the GUI will
> not let me choose the name of a package from which to select a
> dataset. Nothing happens when I pick a package name.  (With previous
> R/Rcmdr, I did not have this trouble).

The problem is that the Rcmdr code doesn't quote the name of the
package. I believe that I've fixed this problem, but haven't posted the
fixed version either to my web site or to CRAN.

> 2. When using Rcmdr, some of the output from commands shows in the
> Rcmdr bottom window, but some is sent to the xterm in which R was
> started. For example, with a scatter3d() command, if I add the option
> model.summary=T, the model summary shows in the xterm.  But some
> other models show results in the bottom pane of Rcmdr.  And, it seems
> to me, there are some commands in which I've noticed some of the
> output going to the Rcmdr bottom buffer and  some to the xterm.

As I recall, I've fixed this problem as well, but perhaps not in a
completely general way. Again, I haven't yet released the fixed
version.

> 3. When I want to exit Rcmdr and choose the pull down "exit from
> Commander and R", I get a Segmentation Fault that closes Rcmdr and R.

This I haven't seen before.

> 4. 3d plots do not display on the screen until I click in the rgl
> window that displays the graph.  This might be a video card/AGP
> driver problem, I suppose.  These systems have the NVidia FX5200
> cards and the NVidia proprietary X driver.  If other users don't see
> the same on other kinds of systems, I guess that will tell me where
> the problem lies.

I believe that I've noticed this problem on a Quantian system.

> 5. At random times, I get an error tcl/tk window popping up with a
> message about MASS and categorical variables.  It says

This reflects the first problem, and is produced by the way that the
Rcmdr initially suppresses and then reports warnings.

I'll check further when I return home.

Sorry for the problems.

John