[R] 64-bit R on Intel Xeon EM64T running fine

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 12 16:09:39 CEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Roger D. Peng wrote:

> This is good news.  As far as I know R has built for quite some time
> now on a number of 64 bit platforms (Linux on AMD Opteron/Athlon64,
> Solaris/Sparc

and Alpha and Irix and HP-UX and AIX as far as I understand.

) but I can't recall seeing a build on Intel with the 64
> bit extensions.

As I understand it, this is an Intel `clone' of AMD64, so the only
news would be if there were any problems: in almost all cases the
executable code is identical to that compiled for AMD64 and in the GNU
classification it is also "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".

I would even expect a Goto BLAS to work, if not as well as on the specific
Opteron it is tuned for.  (Fast BLASes are an essential part of making the
most of 64-bit processors on large problems.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk