[R] problem with lapack.so under Debian Sid

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 12 20:12:20 CEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Christian Fiebach wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am sorry to bother you with this.
>
> I just upgraded yesterday to R 2.0.0 (using apt-get under Debian Sid), and
> now have problems running e.g., summary(lm(...))
>
> the lm is calculated, but the summary statement gives me the following
> error:
>
> Error in La.chol2inv(x, size) : lapack routines cannot be loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> unable to load shared library "/usr/lob/R/modules/lapack.so":
>    /usr/lib/Pentium4_SSE2_512KB/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: ieeeck_
>
> I searched through the archives, but unfortunately I am just not
> LINUX-knowledgeable
> enough to understand the discussions concerning the algebra libraries.
>
> Following an older mail to this list, I did
> ldd /usr/lib/R/modules/lapack.so
> everything looks fine except probably for the first line, which reads
> libR.so => not found

Use R CMD ldd /usr/lib/R/modules/lapack.so to get an accurate picture.

I think you need to ask this on a Debian list.  The R developers do not
recommend the use of an external Lapack library (and the Debian ones have
had `patches' that were incorrect before now).  (See the discussion in the
R-admin manual.)  In this case I guess that it has not been linked against
the right set of external libraries for your particular machine.

> I would appreciate any hints on how to fix this problem!

Should work if you build R from the sources with the default options.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk