[R] Cleaning up R-2.0.0 installation on GNU/Linux ?[SOLVED]

Thomas Schönhoff tom_woody at swissinfo.org
Wed Oct 13 11:19:52 CEST 2004

Hello,

Prof Brian Ripley said the following on 13.10.2004 10:34:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Thomas Schönhoff wrote:

> remove.packages("nlme", "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library") # a duplicate
> foo <- installed.packages(lib="/usr/local/lib/R/site-library")[, 1]
> install.packages(foo, lib="/usr/local/lib/R/site-library")

Besides one minor error regarding to distr package:

Warning message:
Installation of package distr had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(foo, lib = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library")

your recommendations worked out fine, thanks!

> will reinstall all the packages in that library.  I could work out a way
> to only get those that were installed in an earlier version, but it would
> be cumbersome.

No need for doing this at the moment!

If understand correctly the previous situation is only arising when
there are major version upgrades, i.e. from 1.9.1 too 2.0.0.
But when using "update packages() within a major release everything will
be fine, isn't it?
I would be interested to hear what upgrade methods GNU/Linux (Debian)
users prefer to avoid a situation like this!

Many thanks for help!

Thomas