[R] "Centered" dummy variables; non zero/one coding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 12:48:50 CEST 2004

This can done by setting a contrast function or matrix on a variable.
Look in e.g. chapter 6 of MASS (the only comprehensive tutorial on coding
factors in R, it seems).

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Peter Holck wrote:

> I'm uncertain if this is perhaps a stupid question:
>
> I want to create "centered" dummy variables to use in a call to glm(), and
> wondering if there's some slick method in R to do so.  That is, rather than
> have a factor, which results in a glm() fit returning coefficients
> specifying either absence or presence of the factor, I'd like to fit a glm()
> without intercept such that the estimated coefficients (standard errors)
> represent the "average" value in my data set for that variable.

Is that really what you want?  An `average' person having linear predictor
0, or more precisely, the linear predictor have average zero over the
dataset?  What family of glm is this?

> An example: a data set has Race specified with 4 levels.  I can manually
> specify 4 dummy variables for a no-intercept model with each variable rather
> than having a value of zero or one, has a centered value based on its
> frequency of occurrence in the data set.  Thus if 30% of the records in the
> data set have Race of Hispanic, I can define a variable HISP that has a
> value of either -.3 or .7, resulting in my coefficient estimate for HISP
> representing the effect of an "average" person in the database (and a
> corresponding valid standard error).

Nope.  A person can only have one race, so the coefficient estimates can
only represent jointly the effect of picking one of the possible races.

I think what you are striving for is that the average of the term `race'
be zero over the whole dataset.  That's easy -- just compute the average
and subtract it via an offset term.

Once you have two or more factor predictors you will get aliasing your
way.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk