[R] fidelity of generated raster images (R and perl)

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Thu Oct 14 19:20:25 CEST 2004

Hi. To add to Roger's pixmap format and Martin's image() replies, I played
with such problems a while ago and implemented a few metods and classes for
this. Install my R.classes bundle
(http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/R.classes/) and try the MonochromeImage
class in the R.graphics package. R.classes is still not compatible with
2.0.0 (minor modification to DESCRIPTION etc are needed) so you have use R
v1.9.1 to try the below. Example:

library(R.graphics)
bits <- matrix(c(
 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
 0,1,1,1,1,0,0,
 0,1,0,0,0,1,0,
 0,1,0,0,0,1,0,
 0,1,1,1,1,0,0,
 0,1,0,0,1,0,0,
 0,1,0,0,0,1,0,
 0,0,0,0,0,0,0
), nrow=8, byrow=TRUE)
img <- MonochromeImage(1-bits) # 1=white, 0=black
image(img)
plot(img)
persp(img, phi=60, theta=150)
write(img, "foo.pbm")  # Write directly
write(img, "foo.png")  # Write via png() and image()
write(img, "foo.jpg")

The method for PBM (monochrome pixmap) will write to file directly without
using graphical devices. You can either write to binary or ASCII format.
Here is the code I use to write to PBM:

'this' is basically a list structure with the matrix element 'gray' (equals
'bits' in the above example).

writePBM.MonochromeImage <- function (this, filename, ascii = FALSE) {
    open <- if (ascii == TRUE)
      "w"
    else "wb"
    fout <- file(filename, open = open)
    on.exit(close(fout))
    magicNumber <- if (ascii == TRUE)
        "P1"
    else "P4"
    cat(file = fout, magicNumber, "\n", sep = "")
    cat(file = fout, "# Creator: Class MonochromeImage in [R] package
R.graphics by Henrik Bengtsson. http://www.braju.com/R/\n",
        sep = "")
    width <- ncol(this$gray)
    height <- nrow(this$gray)
    cat(file = fout, width, " ", height, "\n", sep = "")
    if (ascii == TRUE) {
        for (row in seq(length = height)) cat(file = fout,
            1 - this$gray[row, ], sep = "\n")
    }
    else {
        if (width%%8 == 0)
            w <- width
        else w <- width + (8 - (width%%8))
        x <- matrix(0, nrow = height, ncol = w)
        x[1:height, 1:width] <- this$gray
        x <- as.vector(t(x))
        x <- as.integer((x == 0))
        x <- matrix(x, nrow = 8, byrow = FALSE)
        x <- (2^(7:0)) * x
        x <- colSums(x)
        x <- as.integer(x)
        writeBin(x, size = 1, con = fout)
    }
}

The manipulation of x, e.g. t(x), can most likely be optimized by for
instance writing in blocks and so on. The bits-to-(0,255) convertion is
probably not optimal either.

The other write method utilizing png() and image() seems to be broken for
gray and monochrome images right now, but works for color images. I'll fix
this for the R v2.0.0 release. Workaround for now: write(as.RGBImage(img),
"foo.png"). However, I agree with Martin that image() might be too
inefficient for this so I would suggest to write to PBM and then use an
external converted, say, ImageMagick. For more info to use image() directly
see example at http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/image/.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Henrik Bengtsson